Re: Cost of Open Access

Joe, I'm not so sure that Open Access publishing costs, including
marketing, will come close to the cost the for-profit companies spend.
In the first place, open access publishers are most often, if not always,
not-for-profit entities.  They don't have owners getting their big chunk
of the profits.  The open access publishers don't (I hope anyway) have
ceo's or whatever making hundreds of thousands per year or more.  The
entire idea of open access it to reduce the cost to consumers.  If they
had the same overhead as the for-profits or even some of the associations,
you'd be right, NOT feasible.  I don't, however, believe that to be the
case.  Not by a long shot.

--
Thomas L. Williams, AHIP
Director, Biomedical Libraries