Re: Open access and impact factors ( was: Open access and the ALA)

Bernie, this is fascinating, and points to what I hope is another aspect
of the debate in regards to the changes needed in scholarly
communications.

Peer review is only one way of determining the quality and impact of an
author.

Shakespearian academic folks around the world, for example, have their
work evaluated through peer review.  But could anyone argue that there is
a single peer-reviewed item in this discipline that matches the quality
and impact of the works of Shakespeare - who, I suspect, never heard of
peer review?

Bernie - or anyone - do you have any suggestions as to how those of us who
don't read quite as much as you appear to, might go about gathering a
personal citation index.

cheers,

Heather Morrison