Re; Author Charges are not the only model for funding open access

I am beginning to perceive a concern that it will not be possible - at
least for those (many) journals with far more readers than authors (e.g.
in the applied sciences, clinical medicine etc) - for a 'author (or
author's institution/funder) pays' model to add up to the benefit of the
scholarly research community.  We have now heard a number of
research-intensive institutions commenting that they think they would
end up paying more than at present - and I think the reason for this is
that there will be a great many 'free riders' who currently pay
subscriptions/licences (industry, notably pharmaceutical companies,
being foremost among these)

I wondered what other people think about this - perhaps the sums will
simply not add up for this kind of journal?

Of course, this is one of the many questions we hope to answer in our
forthcoming data analysis study...

Sally Morris, Chief Executive
South House, The Street, Clapham, Worthing, West Sussex BN13 3UU, UK

Phone:  +44 (0)1903 871686 Fax:  +44 (0)1903 871457
E-mail:  chief-exec@alpsp.org
ALPSP Website  http://www.alpsp.org