Re: Varmus in the Chronicle (RE: Copyright and OA: New York Times and Chroni

Another area where cost savings can confidently be expected with open
access, particularly for publishers, is authentication.  With open access,
there is no need to spend enormous sums of money to develop and/or
purchase, maintain and support complex authentication systems.  If there
is sufficient movement towards open access, it is likely that there will
be less pressure on academic institutions to develop more sophisticated
authentication systems.

Perhaps there would also be some savings for large academic institutions
in legal costs involved in reviewing contracts, dealing with breach or
potential breach situations, etc.?

a personal view by,

Heather Morrison