Open access and impact factors ( was: Open access and the ALA)

In the posting below, Becky Smith notes:

"If open access means little or no impact in ISI, then there is an
opportunity as a profession (or another scientific scholarly organization)
to create its own impact index..."

I realize that this doesn't have a lot to do with Rick Anderson's original
posting, but I have experimented a bit with personal impact factors beyond
those one might find in the ISI citation indices. And perhaps my
investigations might be relevant to determining the impact of open access
publications.

Here's one example of some work I did on what I call a "personal citation
index" (this example relates to a paper that appeared in Library Trends):

http://www.lis.uiuc.edu/~b-sloan/serper-2.htm

Interestingly, my "personal citation index" concept has been cited in
several scholarly papers. The "interesting" thing about this is that my
report on my research in this area has been self-published on the Web.
This is completely non-peer-reviewed, i.e., the ultimate in open access
publication. See the following for some comments on this phenomenon:

http://www.lis.uiuc.edu/~b-sloan/pci-2.htm

I welcome comments....

Bernie Sloan