RE: Varmus in the Chronicle (RE: Copyright and OA: New York Times and Chronicle of Higher Ed

There's one area at least where cost savings can confidently be expected:
distribution costs.

>From the viewpoint of the library, all research libraries have one and
usually more professional position dealing with e-journals. In my
experience about 3/4 of the work consists of negotiating contracts,
licensing, and payment, and resolving access difficulties. (The remainder
is cataloging, and usage statistics). Indeed, I offer an entire course
each year at Palmer on how to do this administration.

>From the point of view of the publisher, it is usually estimated that
e-journal distribution expenses are about 10-15% of the total price.
Undoubtedly most of it is the cost of running the server and the cost of
providing the necessary secure backup, but some is in administering the
access rights. (And, again in my experience, if a publisher's system
fails, this is the weak point.) All of these costs this could be
eliminated.

There are other possible savings: Interlibrary loan would no longer be
needed, at least for current journals. Many complicate consortial
arrangements would be unecessary--at least for this purpose.

I accept that there would be some cost of administering author payments,
but I would expect this to be much simpler. Perhaps those publishers who
now charge submission fees can elucidate this point.

David Goodman
Associate Professor
Palmer School  of Library and Information Science, LIU
dgoodman@liu.edu