RE: Hoping for an open Cell

If Open Access were to go no further than newly emerging areas of study,
it will have failed as a publishing model. Given the thousands of open
access articles already published in the BioMed Central journals of which
the vast majority is in established areas of study, I find that an
implausible scenario.

But Joseph's question "what particular positions is OA best suited for?"
is a useful one. My answer would be: "any research articles, starting with
those that result from publicly-funded research."

In contrast to him, I *do* hope -- no, 'trust' and indeed work hard on it
-- that the kind of articles now published in Cell with dear and limited
accessibility, will soon in majority be published will full Open Access in
the likes of 'Journal of Biology' and 'PLoS Biology'.

Jan Velterop