RE: Varmus in the Chronicle

Like many others in this list, I hope that Mr. Esposito's picture will be
wrong. Informing scientists about how and why, and telling them that
choosing Cell or PNAS is not only an impact factor question but also a
political choice is vital if we want to get ride of the present
monopolistic situation.

The german's support to opensource softwares is a politic decision, as
could be a a governement's support to open access in scholarly
communication. OA titles should not be confined to emerging areas, but
should compete with established titles. Informing authors will help to
achieve that.

Fran�ois Rappaz
Centre de documentation de la Facult� des Sciences
Universit� de Fribourg- Switzerland