Re: Varmus in the Chronicle

The test of who is right on the viability of open access business models
will be in experience of open access publication, but I must point out
that nobody involved with open access has said that publication does not
cost money. Clearly large amounts of money are involved; we only disagree
on whether that money should come from library subscriptions or from
publication-payments as part of the research process. Where we do have
uncertainty is in the transition from one business model to another, and
that is why JISC in the UK is inviting publishers to bid for
transition-funding. Marc Brodsky is absolutely right: the "cleverest,
boldest publishers" will win out in the end. I would only add: also those
of the highest quality.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Frederick J. Friend
OSI Open Access Advocate
JISC Consultant
Honorary Director Scholarly Communication UCL
E-mail ucylfjf@ucl.ac.uk
Mail address: The Chimes, Cryers Hill Road,
High Wycombe, England HP15 6JS
Telephone +44 1494 563168 or  +44 7747 627738 (mobile)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx