RE: Looking an open access gift horse in the mouth

A point of clarification on the FAQ's the Public Library of Science (PLoS)
posted about its Institutional Membership program and response from Jan
Velterop:  the last point concerning publication costs was not intended to
be taken as a direct comparison of BioMedCentral's and PLoS's publishing
costs - they were merely a general accounting of PLoS' costs (peer review,
editing, production, XML mark-up, web hosting etc.) and how the
publication fee of $1500 was initially assessed.  With four issues of PLoS
Biology published, we are now able to calculate more accurately the costs
of individual steps in the process and are preparing a "white paper"
outlining these costs.  The "stringent quality control" PLoS refers to has
more to do with copy editing, figure production, layout, and design than
with peer review, as Jan suggests. These post-peer review steps increase
the publisher's costs significantly but are independent of the quality of
the research that is published.  Jan is absolutely correct in his succinct
explanation of how the costs of peer review increase with a journal's
rejection rate, since the rejected papers bring in no income.  The actual
costs of peer review for a given journal are therefore extremely difficult
to calculate and to incorporate into a flat publication charge.  Both BMC
and PLoS aim to charge of reasonable fee for publication - as Jan points
out, some BMC journals will charge more than the commonly quoted $500 for
BMC journals.