RE: Looking an open access gift horse in the mouth

In regard to Professor Guedon's comments -

I agree that there is, at least theoretically, an incentive problem in
terms of upstream (university) support of open-access publishing. However,
it's not clear that this problem will render the model unsustainable. If
you take a step back and look at how the research is produced, a similar
incentive problem exists: institutions that serve as the source of a
significant fraction of scientific research in effect fund the research
for the benefit of the scientific community at large.

Funding occurs through payment of the researcher's salary, and costs of
lab space, equipment, graduate students, travel, etc. If this research is
published in the open literature, it is, at least potentially, available
to all, whether or not access is open or through journal subscription.
This suggests that the funding institution is incurring costs to produce
research which, when published in the literature, extends benefits to
other institutions who do not directly fund the research - benefits which
take the form of scientific knowledge that supports the research efforts
of their own faculty. These benefits are non-exclusionary and
non-rivalrous in their consumption - the classic economic definition of a
public good.

A number of explanations could be offered to explain how this the apparent
incentive problem is overcome - e.g., quality published research enhances
the reputation of the institution from which it originates. One could also
claim that universities perceive the production and public dissemination
of research as part of their mission, and so are willing to support its
cost while widely distributing the benefits (although, interesting, some
universities are trying to contain the exodus of innovative ideas by
setting up start-up ventures to exploit them commercially). Could we not
make the argument that universities will perceive the costs of suppporting
open access as part of this pre-existing commitment to fund research for
public consumption, and in doing so, sustain the open access publishing
model in some form?

Thanks for the interesting comments and the opportunity to comment on
them.

Regards,

Brian F. Lavoie
Research Scientist