RE: Conflating Price Containment with Publishing Mode (Re: EMBO posting)

Whilst I agree with Phil that the issues of price containment and
publishing mode are too easily conflated, I do think that Open Access is
intrinsically different from the current toll-access mode of publishing in
its economic consequences.

Because research scientists have no choice but to publish the results of
their research ('publish or perish'); and research articles are, by
necessity, unique, published only once, and not interchangeable; a
functioning competitive market in scientific publications is of crucial
importance to the efficiency of scientific communication.

The current market in scientific publications is not competitive in the
usual economic sense, but instead, displays monopolistic tendencies. The
problem is not that any one publisher has control over the market, but
rather that any traditional science publisher has a monopoly on the
distribution of every article it publishes. Readers and libraries are not
in a position to make an economic choice. If they need to read,
respectively provide, a particular research article, they have to pay the
price set by the publisher of the journal in which it appears. When
neither readers nor libraries have an effective economic choice, prices
are not subject to the corrective pressures of a functioning market.

There is no such lack of choice for authors. They can exercise their
choice when deciding to which journal to submit an article for publication
(in most disciplines and on most levels there is more than one option).
Open Access publishing, whereby access to the research literature by the
reader is gratis and barrier-free, provides a mechanism for payment for
maximum dissemination, rather than for access, to cover the cost of the
publication process that the publisher incurs. This mechanism allows
economic factors to play a part in the choice, and thus ensures a
functioning competitive market with its natural effect of price
moderation.

So, Open Access as a mode *does have* intrinsic qualities that would
enable it to contain prices (or rather, prevent it from developing
monopolistic characteristics) if held in the hands of any publisher,
not-for-profit and for-profit alike.

Jan Velterop
BioMed Central