RE: Journals, Peer-Reviewed Journals, Open-Access Journals, Open

Access
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 22:32:52 EST
Sender: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu

The argument has been made repeatedly by publishers that there is no
oligopoly/monopoly or even concentration issue in STM publishing because
NO publisher controls more than x% of STM TITLES. Both in the UK and the
US regulatory agencies have used the "title count" in STM --as have
publishers, to "prove" there is no concentration issue in terms of
competitive climate with large publisher mergers.

It's sort of ironic to see the argument used in reverse. i.e. we publish
more, when the title count number has been used to argue we publish so
little in the big universe it doesn't matter.

Chuck Hamaker
Associate University Librarian Collections and Technical Services
Atkins Library
University of North Carolina Charlotte
Charlotte, NC 28223
phone 704 687-2825