Royal Swets & Zeitlinger Sells STI

Of likely interest for liblicense readers:

PRESS RELEASE

Lisse, The Netherlands
December 11th 2003

Royal Swets & Zeitlinger Sells Swets Test International to Harcourt
Assessment, Inc.

Royal Swets & Zeitlinger Holding NV announced today the sale of Swets Test
International (STI) to Harcourt Assessment Inc., a U.S.-based provider of
high-quality assessment instruments and testing programs. STI, located in
the Netherlands, France, Germany and the UK, is a leading publisher in the
fields of human resource management, health care and education. STI will
be integrated into the existing operations of Harcourt Assessment
International, the international unit of Harcourt Assessment Inc., and
will report to Ian Taylor, the Vice President International Operations,
based in London.

Aurelio Prifitera, President of Harcourt Assessment International, located
in San Antonio, Texas, United States, commented:  "As one of the world's
leading test publishers, we continuously look for ways to offer greater
value to our customers, and the acquisition of the STI companies, with
their broad array of products, helps us do that.  This acquisition is an
ideal opportunity to strengthen our international operations and enhance
our leadership position in the clinical, educational and human resource
assessment markets.  We are pleased to welcome our new partners to
Harcourt Assessment."

Eric van Amerongen, CEO of Royal Swets & Zeitlinger Holding NV noted: "As
a leader in the psychological test publishing markets, Harcourt Assessment
International is in a good position to grow and develop the STI business
further and to provide its authors and customers with a knowledgeable,
sound and extended business environment.  Harcourt's excellent reputation
and its commitment to providing quality products and services has been an
important factor in Swets' decision to enter into negotiations with
Harcourt. This divestment is in line with our overall strategy to
concentrate purely on outsourcing, distribution and information services
in the fields between scientific publishers and their markets."

About Harcourt Assessment

Harcourt Assessment International has offices in the United Kingdom,
Australia and Canada, as well as France, where it operates through its
subsidiary, ECPA.  The company is the international unit of U.S.-based
Harcourt Assessment, Inc, and until recently was known as The
Psychological Corporation. With headquarters in San Antonio, Texas,
Harcourt Assessment, Inc., is a leading provider of high-quality
assessment instruments and testing programs.  The company is affiliated
with the Harcourt book publishing companies, and together they form the
global education brand of Reed Elsevier Group plc (NYSE: RUK and ENL) -- a
world-leading publisher and information provider operating in the science
and medical, legal, education and business-to-business industry sectors.
For further information, please visit www.harcourtassessment.com and
www.reedelsevier.com.

About Swets Test International

Royal Swets & Zeitlinger's STI division is made up of the following
companies:  Swets Test Publishers (STP) has a strong market position in
the clinical, human resources and educational fields. Based in Lisse, The
Netherlands, STP has a strong Dutch-language book list in Psychology. The
French operating company Editions & Applications Psychologiques (EAP),
based in Paris, has an extensive portfolio of tests in the clinical and HR
markets. Swets Test Services (Germany) is a recognized player in the
market with high quality clinical tests and a valuable network within the
Academic community. Thames Valley Test Company is the leading European
publisher of neuropsychological tests, with a strong worldwide network of
neuro-psychologists.

About Royal Swets & Zeitlinger

Royal Swets & Zeitlinger Holding NV is an international information group,
with over 1,200 employees in 23 countries.  Headquartered in Lisse, the
Netherlands, Swets & Zeitlinger is a leading print and electronic service
provider of scientific and professional information for the academic,
corporate and governmental markets. Swets & Zeitlinger's activities are
incorporated in the following divisions: Extenza, Swets Information
Services, Swets Backsets Service and Swets Farrington Document Systems.

Media Contact:
Ylann Schemm
External Communications Executive
Royal Swets & Zeitlinger BV