Artists' Rights and Theft Prevention Act

http://news.com.com/2100-1026_3-5106684.html

Share 'True Crime,' do the time
Last modified: November 12, 2003, 4:20 PM PST
By Declan McCullagh
Staff Writer, CNET News.com

A forthcoming copyright bill backed by key U.S. senators would place file
swappers in prison for up to three years if they have a copy of even one
prerelease movie in their shared folders.

In addition to the prison term, the Artists' Rights and Theft Prevention
Act would punish making such movies available on a public "computer
network" as a federal felony with a fine of up to $250,000. It would not
require that any copyright infringement actually take place.

Senators John Cornyn, R-Texas, and Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., plan to
introduce the legislation at a press conference in Washington, D.C., on
Thursday. Joining them at the event will be actress Bo Derek, Motion
Picture Association of America (MPAA) President Jack Valenti, and Mitch
Bainwol, chairman of the Recording Industry Association of America.

Chuck Notes: another misnamed bill.. Let's just call it the movie
companies want to throw you in jail with a law all their own, as if DMCA
etc. isn't draconian enough. Will we have a cascade of " protection" bills
with jail terms, one for each industry and its special "needs" the no
copying the software in your car law, the thou shalt not have a copy of
any software embedded in your refrigerator law, and mandatory prison
sentences and whopping fines, or the if you copy this on any machine of
any kind, we will bankrupt you bill for every product. This seem to be an
industry specific law, Lets hope congress decides they've seen enough
stupidity from the movie and music companies. but I doubt it, they do have
lots of money for lobbying.

Isnt' this more security than top secret lab programs have? Why would we
do this to ourselves? Movies are more important than calssified documents?

I guess the Movie industry wants to become the second most hated industry
in the country-then hey, they could make movies about the evil monsters
jailed by the software police, or that new breed of law enforcement,
privately employed computer snoopers(call thenm PECSers??), etc., I can
see it now. Cigar smoking hoodlum jailed for .oh wait, this is mostly
their own industry insiders and of course the FANS and reviewers who tout
their products..and academy award movie reviewers.. or someone else with
special access? I guess they want to send their own empolyees to jail more
often?

EVEN IF there is no copyright law broken, send 'em to jail.

Dale Carnegie where are you?? Winning friends and influencing people has
been overturned with just make it illegal and jail 'em philosophy.
Monopoly forever. eh. 90 years...or more, in case you make it and never
release in a particular market?? Is it market specific?

Even for our best customers, most loyal supporters, et our own
employees... I'll bet if they really really tried the RIIA and MPAA
together could put a LOT more people in jail than we have there now.
Aren't the "estimated" music thieves numbers much larger than the current
prison population. You go guys--

I wonder which artists rights are being protected by this misnamed bit of
special protection-oh we must soothe the big companies fears law. Hey its
all those independent starving artists--Now if Movie companies release a
couple of years of turkeys like the music industry has -well, that'll just
prove they need more laws- Chuck