RE: a preservation experience

BioMed Central, the Open Access publisher, shares the view that one cannot
rely on a single archival solution, certainly not a publisher one. All the
open access articles we publish are therefore archived in currently four
repositories, one each in the US, Germany, France and The Netherlands (the
latter not only archiving current formats, but committing to transposing the
material to future formats if and when necessary). See here:
http://www.biomedcentral.com/info/libraries/archive

It goes without saying that the BioMed Central open access articles are
freely available from these repositories. We are working on expanding the
number of repositories, in the interest of long-term preservation.

Repositories elsewhere in the world interested in preserving the open
access BioMed Central material are invited to contact us.

Jan Velterop
BioMed Central