RE: Not copyrighting facts (RE: copyrighting FACTS???)

> But when you peel away the language of the operative sections,
> it essentially does just what you say it does not do: create
> copyright-type restrictions on the use of elements of databases that are
> not currently covered by copyright.

It depends on what you mean by "elements of databases."  If by "elements"
you mean "facts," then I think you're mistaken.  Whatever its weaknesses
as a piece of legislation, nothing in HR 3261 would grant the owners of
databases exclusive rights of publication, distribution, public display,
etc. over any of the facts contained in their databases.

Rick Anderson
Director of Resource Acquisition
University of Nevada, Reno Libraries
(775) 784-6500 x273