ALPSP position statement on Open Access

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 19:30:36 +0100
From: Sally Morris <sec-gen@alpsp.org>
Subject: Re: ALPSP position statement on Open Access

Apologies if you see this message more than once!

I thought you might be interested to see our position statement on this
topic - it will be going up on our website (www.alpsp.org) very shortly.

Over the next year we intend to coordinate as much information-sharing as
we can from the various Open Access Journals experiments, so that all can
learn what works (and what doesn't).  All offers of participation welcome!

Sally Morris, Chief Executive
South House, The Street, Clapham, Worthing, West Sussex BN13 3UU, UK
Phone:  +44 (0)1903 871686 Fax:  +44 (0)1903 871457
E-mail:  chief-exec@alpsp.org
ALPSP Website  http://www.alpsp.org

***

ALPSP STATEMENT ON OPEN ACCESS:

ALPSP is wholly in favour of maximizing access to research literature; the
various proposals for achieving this (e.g. Open Access journals,
institutional repositories, self-archiving), however, raise complex
economic, logistical and sociological questions which differ from field to
field as well as between different sizes and types of publishers.  Much
more information needs to be gathered through experimentation and
analysis; ALPSP therefore welcomes the establishment of journals with
different economic models for open access in order that the benefit to
scholars and the long-term stability and viability of these models can be
assessed.

--end--