Re: Not copyrighting facts (RE: copyrighting FACTS???)

I have not seen the Bill, but am making the assumption that it is closely
modelled on the EU Database Directive and on the attempt at the 1996 WIPO
Conference to pass an Agreement on database right.  The Directive does not
prevent anyone from copying individual facts, but prevents people from
copying without permission substantial portions of a database.  Although
controversial at the time (with both librarians/users, who suffered from
Mr Johnson's misapprehension/worries, and with the majority of publishers,
who felt that copyright law within the EU was adequate to deal with piracy
of databases), it has been in place throughout EU member states for nearly
a decade now without any major problems for librarians or end users.

However, what really intrigues me is Mr Johnson's claim that "information
is free".  A lot of information may be free at the point of use (e.g.,
material on the Web), but someone somewhere expended time and effort to
create it.  A lot of information is extremely expensive.  I cannot think
of any information that is both cost-free to create and to obtain.

Charles

Professor Charles Oppenheim
Department of Information Science
Loughborough University