Seminar: eBooks for Libraries 2004

R2 Consulting is pleased to announce the return of our "eBooks for
Libraries" seminar, updated and looking forward into 2004.

2004 is shaping up to be an active and interesting year for eBooks,
especially in libraries. Important issues remain unresolved but good ideas
and new models continue to surface. Join us as we review the events of the
last two years, and look ahead at new and evolving eBook initiatives,
including: ebrary's Academic Complete, netLibrary's TitleSelect, the
CDDC's BiblioVault and Scholar's Portal, YBP/Baker & Taylor's ED,
Blackwell's Digital Reference Service, eBook Library and its Non-Linear
Lending model, OverDrive's Digital Library Reserve, xrefer's Research
Mapper, Adobe's Content Server 3.0 (which supports library lending and
reserve transactions), and new reader software from Adobe, Microsoft, and
Palm. For a current report, please see our forthcoming Against the Grain
article, "The eBook Prospectus: 2004" at
http://www.ebookmap.net/pdfs/R2%20eBook%20Prospectus%202004.pdf

In 2001, R2 introduced an interactive map of the eBook industry, which
tracked distribution and rights management models from original content to
end user. This year, we'll present new maps of individual business models
to help librarians compare and distinguish competing approaches to pricing
and distribution. We'll also consider integration of eBooks into selection
tools, such as approval plans and vendor Web databases. We'll also look at
eBooks as reference tools and as components of managed learning
environments. We'll showcase some approaches that take full advantage of
eBooks' networked capabilities. We'll review technical developments,
including new reading devices, electronic ink and electronic paper, and
provide an overview of the market: what content is available through which
channels. We'll consider the relationship between eBooks and e-journals.
Finally, we'll discuss what's still needed for eBooks to succeed in
libraries.

We invite librarians, publishers and vendors to participate in this
half-day seminar. Our emphasis will be on scholarly publishing and
libraries.

DATE:	  Friday, December 12, 2003

TIME:	  8:30-12:00 Noon

PLACE:  Cambridge Center Marriott
	  Cambridge, MA

SCHEDULE:

8:30 AM		Registration & coffee
9:00 AM		Market Overview and Industry Trends
10:00 AM	End-User Pathways to Content
10:30 AM	Break
10:45 AM	Library/Selector Tools and Services
11:45 AM	Hurdles and Unsolved Problems

For more information or to register, visit
http://www.ebookmap.net/pages/eBooksBoston.php

Rick Lugg
R2 Consulting
63 Woodwell's Garrison