SunnComm CEO Says Princeton Report Contains Erroneous Assumptions and Conclusions

Response to Halderman/Princeton report on weakness of DMR protection
offered by Sunncomm's MediaMax CD protection software-

"SunnComm believes that Halderman has violated the Digital Millennium
Copyright Act (DMCA) by disclosing unpublished MediaMax management files
placed on a user's computer after user approval is granted. Once the file
is found and deleted according to the instructions given in the Princeton
grad student's report, the MediaMax copy management system can be bypassed
resulting in the copyright protected music being converted or
misappropriated for potentially unauthorized and/or illegal use. SunnComm
intends to refer this possible felony to authorities having jurisdiction
over these matters because..."

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/index.jsp?epi-content=GENERIC&;
newsId=20031009005573&newsLang=en&beanID=202776713&viewID=news_view

SunComm's response is to sue him. They claim his description of the
weakness of their protection system has cost them 10 million dollars in
market value. I guess if I were a music company I'd want to know if i'm
implementing a technology that had such a simple flaw.-Funny they indicate
they are putting unpublished files on the user's computer-even with
"permission" that's a strange way to safeguard music. We can put it on
your computer, but you aren't supposed to touch "our" file-now that's
innovative programming-and creates even more new precedents. Are we going
to have a new law that prohibits removing files from our own pc's??

One of the results some critics of the DMCA predicted was weak encryption
technologies. With such results like they might have been right.

Chuck