Re: Copyright, Trademark and the OCLC suit

Well said Professor Trosow!  I couldn't agree more and think there is very
little chance of confusion in the mind of the public, ergo no infringement
of the mark.  Nevertheless, given the plaintiff, I'm not all that
surprised.

--
Peggy E. Hoon
Scholarly Communication Librarian

> From: Samuel Trosow <strosow@uwo.ca>
> Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 11:50:01 EDT
> To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
> Subject: Copyright, Trademark and the OCLC suit
>
> We shouldn't conflate trademark and copyright. They are very different and
> shouldn't be used interchangeably as you are doing here. Copyright
> subsists in an original work that has been fixed in a tangible medium of
> expression.  So the OCLC may hold a copyright in its four volume DDC 22.
>
> Even though many of the elements in the work would be in the public
> domain, the work as a whole qualifies for copyright protection because
> there is sufficient originality in the updated portions. So if someone
> starts to mass reproduce and distribute or transmit DCC 22, there would be
> a copyright violation.  But copyright does not stop someone from using the
> materials in the work. For example, if a publishing company publishes a
> new cookbook, there is copyright in the work.  But anyone can use the
> recipes in the book without having to pay additional royalties, even a
> commercial restuarant.

[SNIP]