Re: Price discrimination for academic subscriptions (discussion)

One cause of high price increases when there is no malevolent intent is
what, for want of a better word, one might call accountants' pessimism.
I agree with Anthony about the complex internal negotiations that go on.
When I worked for a learned society publisher (one that published directly
itself, not through a commercial publisher) the publishing staff would
budget for the likely costs and circulations in the forthcoming year and
suggest prices.  Then the chief accountant would say, "Ah, but the
inflation rate could well be worse than that!" or "The dollar exchange
rate could go against us!" or "Short-term interst rates might go up (or
down)" and would persuade senior management to take the most prudent (i.e.
most pessimistic) view on these matters.  Hence the price increases
imposed were higher than the publications people had proposed, and when in
the event the inflation rate or the exchange rate did not go as badly
against us as in the accountant's worst-case scenario, we hauled in
another big "surplus".  (Not-for-profit organisations don't make profits.)

Fytton Rowland, Loughborough University.

***