Re: Usage-based pricing, a view

I think the observations are too mechanistic and assume that the burden of
paying is shifted to the end-user.  The print journal as we know it was
the perfect means of distributing a subject-oriented collection of papers
to a community interested in that subject.  It avoided the myriad
communications that would be necessary to inform all in the community of
every newly available article and to send to each just the articles of
particular interest.  Remember, journals predate postage stamps and were
the simultaneous means of distributing new research and informing
presumably interested individuals that the research had been done.

That mechanism is now well advanced toward anachronism.  We now have the
means of making virtually every article available to virtually every
reader, with means in place for readers to identify exactly the articles
they want.  Isn't it absurd that one reader should have to pay for a score
or a hundred or a thousand articles that he doesn't want just to get the
one he does.  Isn't it absurd that the largest universities can pay the
same amount for that collection of articles and get thousands or tens of
thousands of uses.  Isn't it absurd that publishers should use the same
formulae that were supposed to account for paper and ink and postage to
pay for servers and connectivity.

Use-based pricing doesn't necessarily mean that every reader pays directly
for every article obtained.  It can mean that a community pays
collectively - as universities and research institutions now do.  The
difference is in paying for what they want and not for what they don't.
Start with the present expenditure, and adjust for the future based on
experience.  Let's say a library pays $500 for a journal subscription this
year.  For next year it places $500 in a deposit account, from which $15
is deducted for each article downloaded by anyone in its community.  If
usage exceeds the $500 during the year, some previously agreed result
ensues (e.g., extra downloads are free, or the library is cut off for the
duration, or the library is billed for additional downloads, or whatever).
If usage falls short of $500, then the library has a credit for the next
year and enjoys a pro-rata reduction in the amount to be deposited for
continued access.  If the bookkeeping seems excessive in this simple
example - and it would be - collapse all of a publisher's (or group of
publishers') journals into a pool, set the initial deposit at the combined
price of a library's subscriptions, and worry about over/underpayments for
the whole lot.

There's no reason for end-user behavior to change in such a model, so
there's no reason to expect any more abuses, misuses, or self censorship
than there is in the present model.  Professional and scientific
associations will have the same mission they do now to advance their
disciplines, so there will be no greater incentive than now to adjust
their publishing criteria (unless you want to accuse them of padding their
print publications now).

Deals can be superimposed to achieve whatever equity seems lacking, for
example reduced pricing for poorer countries.  The model itself eliminates
the huge existing inequities between large universities that can now
afford to subscribe to nearly everything and small colleges with limited
means.  Consortial arrangements are already ameliorating the disadvantages
that small colleges have faced, effectively bundling together the readers
at all consortial institutions.  Use-based pricing simply effects the same
kind of bundling at the article side of the equation, extending (with
greater precision) what the publishers are already trying to achieve
through FTE-based pricing.

Carl A. Anderson
Director of Electronic Resources
Drexel University Libraries