From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 4:38 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Requesting User Information and Policy Agreement Prior to Data
Exports

Question regarding the request of user information and policy agreement
prior to data exports:

I work for a company that markets primarily to academic institutions. We
are developing a new online product and anticipate requiring users to
"accept" or "agree" to a clear statement whenever downloading or exporting
data from the database.  The institution will have agreed to some Terms of
Service when purchasing, of course, but we still want to communicate with
individual users that there are limits on what we want them to do with the
data.

The question is: Does requiring users to enter names or affiliations in
order to download data present any kind of issues with privacy/freedom in
the academic or library environment?

[SNIP]

Kind regards, Patrick MacDougall