Virtual Reference and Licensing

One of our librarians, charged with the duty of writing virtual reference
policies, has hit a wall when it comes to determining how much proprietary
database information we are legally able to share wit VR patrons. I'm
passing on the questions she sent me, in hopes that someone has experience
in this domain. Thanks, Michelle

"The database problems arise because the service is open to everyone and
we have very little information about our patrons (name, email, and
question--no need to give REAL name or email). In answering a question, we
have the option of:

a) not using databases at all;
b) consulting databases for confirmation purposes only--not full searching;
c) cutting and pasting search results and sending them to the patron;
d) emailing information to the patron directly from the databases;
e) "pushing" pages from the database to the patron.

1.  For database purposes, I assume that a person is affiliated if she
tells me she is--no authentication.  Is this a problem?

2.  Do any database licensing agreements address the issue of virtual
reference access?

3.  Am I allowed to use a database to confirm a single fact/citation for a
non-affiliated patron? (E.g., the patron has the title of an article and I
use a database to identify the source? Note: We do this over the telephone
all the time.)

4.  For an affiliated patron, can I enter the patron's email address into
the database and have information sent directly from the database to the
patron? Or must I cut and paste it into my email to the patron?  (I had
always thought that we were not to email directly from a database, but
several others in my department seem to think this is ok.)

5.  Law students do not have direct remote access to our databases, but
they can access them by dialing into the university server. For virtual
reference/database purposes, do I treat law students as affiliates or
non-affiliates?"

Michelle Sears
Electronic Resources Librarian
University of Alabama Libraries