RE: copyright protection paper

Part of the issue is govt. employee authored papers are generally
"incognito" i.e. there is NO way to tell in a journal that the publisher
doesn't hold the copyright. Every few years I check to see if you can tell
from the article if it is government employee only produced, and what the
publisher notes on copyright. Normally the publishers' insert their own
copyright notice and that's about all. If you don't know, you don't know.

My guess is that CCC etc.  has collected lots of dollars for material
publishers didn't own the right to demand payment for. NO ILL system, for
example, indicates whether an item is fee or not based on who the authors
are, we just assume from the journal title.

So I don't see that Sally's point means much as a "challenge" if its free
or restricted, but the publisher doesn't tell you which is which and mix
it in with what is publisher owned--How could an individual or instituion
possibly know their use rights are different.

We probably need some other way to know what is NOT under copyright. A
standard note on journal articles? ( since the right is obscured right
now)

How much money does the publishing industry owe back to libraries for
unlawfully collecting copright fees on government owned materials??

That should make an interesting court case, since the big publishers I've
talked to do not track on an article basis what they are collecting in
copyright fees for journal articles.

Chuck Hamaker