Re: Copyright Protection paper

Hello,

I believe the effect of the Sabo bill would be different from the existing
effect of public domain status of US Government works due to the copyright
protection of the work in foreign nations. Signatory nations to
international copyright conventions, particularly the Berne Convention,
agree to "national treatment" - they will protect the nationals of
signatory nations in the same way they protect their own nationals.  In
many nations this has the effect of placing US Government documents under
copyright protection since in many nations government works have copyright
protection. For example, in Canada, works created by the federal
government have copyright protection - consequently all works created by
foreign governments have copyright protection in Canada, including US
Government documents.

However the Sabo bill, if I understand it correctly, requires the
researcher to agree in writing that their work will not be protected by
copyright.  This is different than treating US Government funded research
as US Government publications since the researcher is explicitly agreeing
in each case to waive copyright protection. The lack of copyright
protection now stems from the researcher directly waiving copyright,
rather than from the work simply belonging to a class of works.  In most
countries, if you agree to waive copyright protection, then your work does
not have copyright protection (aside from moral rights, which you can also
waive).  Therefore I'm pretty sure that under the Sabo bill, the
researcher's work will also lack copyright protection in most other
countries - even where government works are under copyright - since the
copyright protection was explicitly waived.

Regards,
Don Taylor

Donald Taylor
Electronic Resources Librarian      email: dstaylor@sfu.ca
Simon Fraser University Library     ph: 604-291-4930
8888 University Drive                    fax: 604-291-3023
Burnaby, BC, Canada  V5A 1S6

***