Patriot Act E-Learning Course

Do the terms "USA Patriot Act," "Homeland Security Department" and "Total
Information Awareness" lead to more questions than answers when it comes
to working in an information-centric business? Do you want to understand
more about the basics of the Fourth Amendment and whether recent
legislative and administration efforts, not to mention technology, are
eroding our right of individual liberty?

The College of Information Studies at the University of Maryland is
pleased to announce an e-learning, continuing education course that
answers these and other questions about how the Patriot Act affects
information professionals.  The course, which runs September 15-26, is
designed to be completed on your own schedule during a two-week time
frame. It is taught by visiting professor Lee Strickland, a career CIA
official and legal expert on librarian and information management related
issues. For complete details, check out our Web site at
http://www.clis.umd.edu/ce

The key dates follow:
Government intrusion vs. Individual Liberty: Understanding the 4th Amendment
and the USA Patriot Act
September 15-September 26, 2003
Registration Deadline: September 1, 2003
Cost: $145