Re: Duke University Press

Francois Rappaz wrote in with a story of mistreatment in his attempt to
order back issues of the Duke Mathematical Journal, and he wondered how to
reach a helpful person working at Duke University Press. Actually, in my
view there are close to 100 helpful people at Duke University Press. But I
will be glad to check into what happened here myself, and then get back to
Francois Rappaz off-list, unless there is an instructive lesson to be
learned from what I discover. In my experience, in a case like this there
is almost always a more complicated story than what first appears: it is
certainly not in our interest to turn away paying customers, our employees
take pride in the quality of our customer service, and I can personally
testify that the "Lesley" involved is an extremely conscientious person.

If others of you ever have problems of any sort with Duke University
Press, I would be glad for you to bring them to my attention. I do lurk on
liblicense-l. But sometimes I am days or even weeks behind in my reading
of the posts, so please feel free to contact me directly.

Steve Cohn, Director, Duke University Press
Box 90660 Duke University, Durham NC 27708
phone: 919/687-3606; fax 919/688-4574
http://www.dukeupress.edu/