Re: Copyright Protection paper

Sally makes some very good points.  As the joint author of the Scholarly
Publishing Practice report (http://www.alpsp.org/news/sppsummary0603.pdf)
she refers to in her second paragraph, I can confirm the following
numbers, based on an extensive survey of international publishers, both
commercial and non-profit:

1.  83 per cent of publishers do seek an assignment of copyright from
their authors; most of the remainder seek a formal licence to publish.

2.  PRIOR TO PUBLICATION, over 35 per cent allow authors to post to their
own website, nearly 25 per cent to the institutional web site and nearly
20 per cent to pre-print servers.

3.  AFTER PUBLICATION, nearly 50 per cent allow posting to the author's
website, nearly 30 per cent to the institutional web site and nearly 10
per cent to pre-print servers.

4.  Over 80 per cent of publishers allow re-use of the published article
within the author's academic institution, and more than half allow the
author to re-use his or her material within his or her own publications.

Isn't Sabo a sledgehammer taken to a nut that has already been cracked?

John Cox

John Cox Associates
Rookwood, Bradden
TOWCESTER, Northants NN12 8ED