Copyright Protection paper

I do have some comments on your draft paper at
http://publish.uwo.ca/~strosow/Sabo_Bill_Paper.pdf.

I think it contains some fundamental misunderstandings and unsupported
assertions:

1)    Most important -  The expected effect of the Sabo bill, if
passed. I don't see why it would be any different from the existing
effect of the public domain status of Government works.  It would be
valuable to look at the extent to which the public availability of
these (for example, when published as journal articles) differs in
reality from that of articles which are not in the public domain.
Unless someone looks at this and sees a beneficial difference, I can't
see what Sabo would actually achieve.

2)    The restricting effect of copyright transfer from author to
publisher (or indeed anyone else);  not borne out by the facts!
Copyright ownership really isn't the point - a great many publishers
commercial as well as not-for-profit) deal with journal authors under
the terms of agreements which allow the authors to make their articles
freely available on their own, institutional or subject websites; see
our recent report, Scholarly Publishing Practice at
<http://www.alpsp.org/news/sppsummary0603.pdf> - the survey covered
every major publisher and a fair slice of the small and medium ones
too.  What is important is not whose name appears on the copyright
line - this is largely irrelevant - but what rights are held by whom.
Copyright is not really a single right - it is divisible and this is
often the most workable approach.  See www.surf.nl/copyright for many
examples of enlightened publisher policies

3)    The extent to which DRM technologies actually restrict Fair
Use/Fair Dealing rights;  many people allege this, but where are the
facts?  Again, our survey shows the considerable extent to which
publishers actually permit things like course pack use and inter-
library loan with their electronic journals.  In any case, Fair
Use/Fair Dealing, in the physical world, permits certain acts with
publications to which you already have legitimate access.  It's the
same in the digital world - these rights do not and should not permit
anyone to access anything for 'Fair Use/Dealing' purposes;  you might
as well say it's all right to steal a book from a bookstore because you
wanted to use it for such purposes, and that locking the door of the
bookstore at night restricts your rights!

4)    The usual wild generalisation that journal prices
are 'skyrocketing'.   Yes, average increases exceed inflation - one
major driver of this, as everyone understands, is that journals get
bigger as more articles are produced.   But most publishers -
especially, but not exclusively, not-for-profits, who are a very
important part of the picture - keep their prices modest in the first
instance (more relevant, really, than year-on-year increases per se)
and increase them as modestly as they can.   The development of new
ways of selling journals to libraries - collections, consortia
licences - has also helped to reduce the cost, and many publishers make
their journals freely available to less developed countries.

Our organisation is not against finding new and better models for the
ide distribution of scholarly information - quite the opposite.  But
these developments should be based on facts - which is why we spend
much of our resources on research.

Sally Morris
Secretary General, ALPSP