Independent thought under fire (RE: Fair Use Under Fire)

> If you accept that the future is digital, then you must also accept that
> the work of librarians, whose very enterprise is dependent upon fair use,
> is threatened by the current DRM agenda.

So _that's_ what I'm supposed to believe!  Thank heaven for the ALA.  Can
you imagine the chaos if each of us had to work through issues like this
on our own?  Why, we might take into account the diverse interests
involved and the legal and moral complexity of the whole DRM issue, and
arrive at any number of different conclusions.  The result would be...
chaos!  Moral confusion!  Ambiguity!  A diversity of professional opinion!
Luckily, the ALA is there to short-circuit that whole messy process and
tell us exactly what it is that we "must" accept and "must" work for.

Whew!  Now I can get back to claiming... Let's see, I think I'm doing
third claims this week...

Rick Anderson
Director of Resource Acquisition
University of Nevada, Reno Libraries