print has a long future, but I wonder if we were wasting our time fighting
that battle.

Guy Dresser

At 01:49 PM 8/18/2003 -0400, David Goodman wrote:
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 13:47:49 EDT
Sender: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu

I am far from a defender of publishers' current pricing models, but I do
not take seriously that a publisher will deliberately choose to increase
its prices to a level where not a single copy of its products will be
sold.

Additional security is offered by the growing willingness of national
libraries to undertake this fuction. To give some perspective on the
expected survival of institutions, I note that Elsevier has been in
existence longer than Princeton, LC, or the BL.

If one's economic estimates are wildly off, and the survival of permanent
institutions less than expected, part of the contract will have included
the production and dispersal of physical copies, whether in print,
optical, or similar format. If you wish to say that no plan based purely
upon electronic images without physical embodiment will offer sufficient
security, I will not disagree.

David Goodman