RE: Payment at input and introducing competition (was: PLoS prici ng)

You have to give it to them, though. They have been extraordinarily
successful. See below. If I didn't know better I might be tempted to
perceive a 'bubble':-)

Presumably explaining this (from The Independent newspaper (UK), August 8,
2003):

"Reed Elsevier is the internet star you never see feted as a leading light
of the internet revolution. It is not mentioned alongside the likes of
Amazon, eBay and AOL. Yet last year, Reed's internet revenues topped �1bn,
out of total revenues of �2.6bn. This year, online sales should grow
further, maybe by 10 or 20 per cent."

and

"It's a pretty compelling business model."

and

"Reed makes more profit from the net than anyone else"

and

"Reed is growing revenues faster than competitors and is delivering
double-digit earning increases."

----