RE: Payment at input and introducing competition (was: PLoS pricing)

Yes, it is true, as Henderson asserts, that overall library budgets have
NOT increased with increased R&D levels. But that argument is not relevant
to the next piece of the argument, i.e. libraries should go get more money
to be able to pay more for serials. The two don't connect directly.

Library budget cuts are another issue, and I don't see evidence for much
of that happening in research libraries over the last decade at least in
the US. There have been significant reductions in purchasing power
worldwide because of relative currency values. South Africa comes to mind
as a particular challenge for its academic libraries.

This year there may be a reversal in that as some states in the US may
actually have budget reductions.

Libraries have been forced to cut serials,in my experience, primarily
because price increases have been 2,3, even 4 times inflation rates. Even
when expenditures are stable or even increasing for serials, the levels of
cost increases driven primarily by large commercial publishers have been
breathtaking for most of the last 20 years.

I think this realization, as stated in UK documents on the Elsevier
purchase of Harcourt, conflated the argument and I think some publishers
assume that means library budget cuts.  Chuck