RE: Open Access pricing and the perceived ability of research grants to cover publication costs

Dear Richard,

Do I gather that you are not against the idea of open access for research
papers but that your reserve boils down to the issue of funding an
input-paid model of publishing (article charges) as opposed to the
traditional output-paid one (subscriptions)?

Any transition comes with these kind of difficulties. The question to
focus on is the desired outcome. Grants and other funding methods are not
yet fully adapted to what is still a very new development. Before halfway
the 19th century, receipients of any mail were expected to pay for the
postage upon delivery. The introduction of the postage stamp (in 1847 in
the US) changed that, although it took until 1855 before pre-payment was
compulsory in the US. Even then, post had to be picked up from the post
office and it took quite a while before free delivery -- first in cities,
much later in rural areas -- became widespread. Would we ever
realistically want to go back to 'recipient pays'? (Although for junk mail
it might be the solution :-).

Why this story? Because it has analogies with the changes underway in the
dissemination of scientific research results.

Hitherto -- and still the prevailing model -- the recipient paid/pays for
the delivery of scientific papers (mostly via subscriptions or access
licences). It was/is not the funding bodies but in virtually all cases the
institutional library who paid/pays the cost. At a rate, in the aggregate,
of considerably more than $1500 per article. Many institutions and their
libraries are keen on open access publishing, despite the hurdles that may
still exist. They are determined to overcome them. BioMed Central
experiences a lot of support from institutions picking up the tab. The
money does not have to come from funding bodies only, although they might
have a strong incentive to support open access and with it increase their
visibility and the impact of the research funded (just an example: malaria
research published with open access is reaching parts that other
publications don't reach -- especially the countries where malaria is
endemic. The likelihood that such research was intended by the funding
bodies sponsoring it to reach those countries is high, one can safely
presume). Quite a few funding bodies already encourage authors to publish
with open access. They are the only ones, too, who could introduce a
measure of compulsion, by paying the charges and making open access a
condition of funding research projects.

But hopefully, compulsion and things like copyright exemption, will be
eclipsed by conviction, as the benefits of open access become increasingly
obvious.

The suggestion I would have for the AIBS (I don't mean this as patronising
as it may sound) is to give authors and their funding bodies a choice,
something like the American Physiological Society is doing
(physiolgenomics.org). Just determine the level of charges needed to cover
the real costs per article (if more than $1500 you may wish to look at
your working practices and procedures; even most commercial publishers
have per-article costs for online versions that do not surpass this
amount), and give them an opportunity to 'procure' maximum free online
dissemination for their articles. That would potentially enable a
relatively seamless and painless transition, no?

Best wishes,

Jan Velterop