Patriot Act, Records Management E-learning

The College of Information Studies at the University of Maryland is
pleased to announce the following two e-learning, continuing education
courses this fall. The courses are designed to be completed on your own
schedule during a two-week time frame.

The first course focuses on the Patriot Act and the Fourth Amendment. The
second course helps you understand how to respond to search warrants and
subpoenas and create a records management system. For complete details,
check out our Web site at http://www.clis.umd.edu/ce

Government intrusion vs. Individual Liberty: Understanding the 4th
Amendment and the USA Patriot Act September 15-September 26, 2003
Registration Deadline: September 1, 2003 Cost: $145

Do the terms "USA Patriot Act," "Homeland Security Department" and "Total
Information Awareness" lead to more questions than answers when it comes
to working in an information-centric business? Do you want to understand
more about the basics of the Fourth Amendment and whether recent
legislative and administration efforts, not to mention technology, are
eroding our right of individual liberty? Government Intrusion vs.
Individual Liberty will examine such issues, how they affect information
professionals, and how as citizens we must work to balance the need for
homeland security and our rights of individual liberty.

Responding to Judicial Process:
A Guide to the Unexpected for Search Warrants, Subpoenas and Otherwise
October 27-November 7, 2003
Registration Deadline: October 13
Cost: $145

Perhaps you have taken our previous continuing education course on
government intrusion and the changes brought by the USA Patriot Act. But
regardless, what do you do when federal or state law enforcement comes to
your information-centric business with �judicial process� and demands
compliance?  To effectively manage today, you must understand the many
forms of judicial process -- search warrants, Title III wiretap orders,
ECPA court orders, ECPA preservation demand letters and subpoenas � to
name just a few. This popular course will help you understand how each of
these forms of process are executed and what your rights are. It will also
assist you in developing in very concrete terms the proper policy and
protocol for your business to make certain that your rights and the rights
of your patrons (or customers) are protected.