Colleges explore legal Net music setups

[Crossposted to digital-copyright and CNI-COPYRIGHT, apologies for duplication]

Colleges explore legal Net music setups
<http://news.com.com/2100-1027_3-5059030.html>
by John Borland, CNET News.com
August 1, 2003

I find this rather disturbing, mostly due to the makeup of the task force (follow the link to the EDUCAUSE page) and the contents of the RFI's.

Thoughts? I guess campuses technically already do this when they arrange for campus cable service, or license access to database and ejournal content (though the task force is conspicuously short on librarians, who have the most experience negotiating content licenses) but it seems to me a Very Bad Idea to get into this content licensing and use enforcement business voluntarily.

Claire
--
M. Claire Stewart
Head, Digital Media Services