re: Monopolies in publishing: defining quality

Heather Morrison appropriately raises the very important problem of
providing adequately for the publication of research in fields with
relatively few workers. These subjects has never been adequately provided
for by the commercial publication system in the past, nor will they be in
the future; they have always required subsidies. The subsidy has come in
many ways: publication by museums or by institutes, direct publication
grants, publication at a loss but cross-subsidized by other titles, or
publication at very high prices paid by a very few institutions.

I would suggest that in the future these publications would be essentially
published as open archives or other informal publication pathways. This is
already the case in some fields such as plant biogeography, where the most
valuable sources are now organization web sites.

I would never say that only widely read or cited material is of high
quality. I would say that within a field where there is hghly cited and
read material, the least widely read and cited items within that
particular field are likely to be of very low quality.

I would similarly never say that only material likely to be widely read
deserves dissemination. I would say that commercial or quasi-commercial
publication makes economic sense only for such material. I think Heather's
examples demonstrate very well why we need alternative publication
channels; as I see it, we are in fundamental agreement. I agree that there
are many possible alternatives for such publication, and I do not mean to
suggest that I know which ways will be best.

I refer also to recent discussions of the problems of book publication in
the humanities, such as in the Chronicle of Higher Education; this
situation is even more difficult in other fields than the sciences.