Re: Monopolies in publishing

Anthony, as I see it Mark is at least technically correct: the bulk of the
cost of reviewing is indeed volunteer labor, undertaken for other than
direct monetary returns, although there is also considerable direct
monetary costs for the publisher.

Library expenditures, as can be seen at www.arl.org, are primarily for
staff, not materials; as can be further seen from any library staff
directory, the bulk of the staff costs are for acquiring and servicing the
relatively less expensive non-STM material. Neither system operates
automatically, without human intervention. In my experience, neither
system operates at a particularly high level of efficiency, but blaming
each other is not a justifiable strategy to avoid improving one's own
area.