RE: Monopolies in publishing

It is not true that refereeing is cost-free, even though referees are not
paid.

In some literature research that I did last year for JISC, I found several
papers that estimated the cost of refereeing - which lies in the
*administration* of a refereeing system, which cannot be undertaken
voluntarily for anything beyond a very small journal.  The papers reviewed
were by authoritative authors such as Tenopir and King, Bernard Donovan
and Aldyth Holmes. The consensus of these papers was that it costs about
US$20 per printed page to referee an article, say $200 per article if an
average one is 20 printed pages.  But these costs apply to rejected as
well as accepted papers.  So if the rejection rate is 50%, the refereeing
cost per published paper is $400.  For a journal publishing hundreds of
papers per annum this is a non- trivial cost.

Fytton Rowland (usually at Loughborough University, UK, but currently at
Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand)

___