From: Terry Hulbert
To: jan@biomedcentral.com; liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Sent: 7/11/03 6:44 AM
Subject: RE: Monopolies in publishing

I've been lurking too long, and I know I'm going to hate myself for
doing this   :-)  But here's an interesting thing. What you say is
logically and theoretically correct, but we don't live in a world of
logic and theory. In the world of physics what you're suggesting doesn't
quite stack up - researchers have access to articles on the pre-print
servers, they're heavily used. So, in fact, an article (or at least
something approaching an equivalent) can and often does 'exist' in two
places. And a large number of institutions still subscribe to physics
journals. Why is that?

Terry Hulbert
Institute of Physics Publishing