RE: Paying for open access

Putting the models side-by-side, I would come to the reverse of Anthony's
views. Open access is likely to be better, but perhaps not as cheap as
some would like or expect.

The fact is that currently, Academia pays - on the whole - more than $3000
per published article, sometimes a lot more. Even non-profit publishers
like OUP have recently made public (Martin Richardson on another list)
that their *income per article published* is GBP 2000 (i.e. well over
$3000). The 'system' pays this. Surely, if for that amount of money the
old system pays for itself and makes a profit (or surplus), open access
would easily be possible. Would there be any reason at all for OUP to
stick to the subscription model with all its restrictions if they could
make a turnover of $3000 per article? Anthony's idea that "If there were
more journals there could surely be funding problems" is rather curious in
the light of the amounts currently being paid per article.

Open access does 'bar' authors who cannot somehow secure the funds
necessary for being published. The whole scientific world 'bars'
researchers who cannot somehow secure funding for their research.
Publishing really should be part of the research effort and consequently
funds for publishing really should be part of the research funding (a very
small part, usually), as Rebecca Kennison set out so clearly on this list
yesterday. Let's not forget that the traditional subscription-oriented
publishing model literally bars thousands and thousands of researchers and
students from access to the literature they need, even those at the
wealthiest institutes, because no institute can afford all the journals
they would like to have access to.

So even if the costs to Academia were exactly the same, open access is
clearly better.

Jan