Re: Open Access and "Membership Costs"

I think that J.F. Rowland is missing my point. Whether we are dealing
with a reader's market (subscription model), or an author's model
(membership model) was not my argument. I was attempting to illustrate
that that shifting from a market model that involves *individual costs*,
to one that involves *institutional costs* is problematic. Most
publishers use a price-discriminatory model whereby institutional
subscription prices eclipse individual subscription prices by many times. We also know that an individual subscription model is price elastic
(individuals are not tolerant of large price increases), while an
institutional subscription model is price inelastic (libraries
unfortunately are very tolerant of price increases). Libraries have been
tolerant of paying exorbitant journal prices because we act as purchasing
agents for our consumers, and consumers in this model are unaware and
uninterested in containing costs -- this is well-documented in both the
economics and library literature. So whether we are discussing a reader's
market, or an author's market is beside the point. A move to an
institutional membership fee can be economically disadvantageous,
especially if this model is controlled by a price-maximizing entity, of
which BioMed Central is one.

Phil Davis

Philip Davis, Life Sciences Bibliographer
Mann Library, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853
(607) 255-7192 ; (607) 255-0318 fax
pmd8@cornell.edu
http://people.cornell.edu/pages/pmd8/

***