Paying for open access

For the avoidance of misunderstandings, what I did not imply is that
libraries may not be willing to pay for open access. What some libraries
may not be keen to pay for is the 6 months' or so 'immediacy' if the
material becomes freely available after that. Much better to use that
money to procure immediate open access straight away.

Paying for open access may superficially look like subscriptions, but
there is an essential difference. Payment takes place on behalf of
researchers in their roles of *authors* rather than on behalf of them as
*readers*. This reversal of the publishing business model enables open
access. It is paying for optimal dissemination instead of paying for
restricted access.

Jan Velterop