RE: Sabo Bill: Measure Calls for Wider Access to Federally

> Phil Davis wrote:
>
> I'm not sure there needs to be the dichotomy between open-access and
> subscription-access as you set up.  As the original Public Library of
> Science proposed, open access to research would be available after 6
> months.  [snip]
> This would still enable publishers to make money on the value-added
> services they provide but still allow eventual open-access to the public.
> Many society publishers have already adopted this practice, [snip]
>
> and libraries have confirmed that they are still willing to
> pay for the immediacy of good information.

JV: I'm sure libraries are prepared to pay for the immediacy of good
information. But 'willing'? Do they really have a choice? Are they not
also 'prepared' to pay for the largest and most expensive package deals?

> Commercial publishers, however, have been very reticent to adopt this
> practice, undoubtedly because it would result in a massive correction
> in the prices they would be able to charge.

JV: And not only commercial publishers, I might add. Some
crypto-commercial societies fit this bill, too. It may not be a
black-and-white situation, but it is very dark grey indeed.

Jan Velterop