RE: Sabo Bill: Measure Calls for Wider Access to Federally Financed Research

Depends on what you mean by "available".  A couple of months ago I had
some correspondence with the chief of staff of a small rural hospital in
western Alabama who is trying to figure out how he and his colleagues can
get access to the latest clinical research.  His hospital is hanging by a
thread financially (as is the case with most hospitals and clinics in
rural America), so subscribing to or licensing everything that he needs is
out of the question.  He has a hard time understanding why, if he's paying
for this research in the first place with his tax dollars, he can't
readily access the results of that research.  I can supply him with copies
of articles through interlibrary loan at $11/each (well, I can in those
cases where the terms of the license don't prevent me from doing that),
once he's figured out exactly what articles he wants to see.  But this is
a miserably inefficient way for him to try to keep up.

This scenario is repeated in every small hospital, clinic and doctor's
office in rural America and in much of the inner city.  Don't tell these
health care practioners that this stuff is "already available" and that
their concern for giving their patients the best care possibile is a
"tempest in a teapot."

T. Scott Plutchak
Director, Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences
University of Alabama at Birmingham

tscott@uab.edu