Re: Haworth heads-up

The quality of electronic journal sites, in the customary sense of
functionality and appearance, is certainly important.

But much more important, and a truly critical concern, is reliability.
Especially with the trend towards electronic-only subscriptions, a journal
whose site cannot be accessed is useless. There is no longer any excuse
for a publishers site having less than 100% availability. Many providers
have succeeded in making even complicated system changes in such a way
that at least one of the mirrors remains available. There are both
commercial sites (like ScienceDirect and non-commercial sites (like
HighWire) which appear to have now reached this standard.

In an emergency, when a site does go down, or for those providers whose
sites cannot yet be changed without brief shut-downs, it is necessary to
have a mechanism for informing users who attempt to connect of exactly
what the problem is. An increasing number of providers do inform their
library contacts. Considering that many --or perhaps most--of the users go
to the journals directly or from links, this is not enough; they must
manage to post an appropriate message as well (not their all-purpose
message that usually says "your library does not have a subscription.")