Academic Publisher Web Sites Assessment

Not-for-profit scholarly presses that have a goal of disseminating
scholarship at low cost also wrestle with the issue of how libraries view
the tradeoff of bells and whistles and price for electronic editions.

If we provide electronic resources at much lower cost than our commercial
competitors, will libraries understand that perhaps we cannot provide as
sophisticated an execution of an electronic product or that we might have
a modestly greater amount of downtime, etc.  Would libraries prefer higher
prices and more features and reliability?  Which features are more
critical and worth the higher cost that would have to charge to cover our
expenses?

University presses face these issues in publishing electronic journals
now.  We will face them increasingly in the future if we attempt to
provide databases of backlist books to libraries.  How do libraries think
about the look and feel of a product such as the ACLS E-History Project vs
ebrary vs netLibrary?  How do they feel about image PDF files vs vector
PDF files vs HTML?  How important are annotating tools and the like?  How
important is sophisticated search or linking from footnotes to the
referenced material?  And so on.

Mary Summerfield